Value-added resellers (VARs) that can incorporate their knowledge of their customers' business processes with their expertise in technology can create for their clients better efficiency; reduced overhead; increased analytic competence; and satisfied, more steadfast customers. Business process automation (BPA) can have a huge effect on an organization’s bottom line, and VARs that understand this will enjoy the profitability that comes with their knowledge and understanding. One way for VARs to become familiar with customer business processes is to focus on vertical industries and understand one industry well before moving on to others. Here are two examples of industries that are ripe for the implementation of BPA:
The healthcare trade is one of the most paper-intensive industries. Although healthcare institutions are moving from paper to digital, there are still manual business processes that are taking place that are obstacles to streamlining operations. BPA is used in order to reduce costs and typically consists of application integration, reallocating manpower, and the implementation of software applications throughout the company. In order to be successful in implementing BPA, a company should outline its business processes as part of an overall methodology for improving the productivity and efficiency of the business. There are many methods available to automate a business process, including developing in-house automation software or purchasing a BPA tool. Either way, here are some automation benefits for healthcare providers:
- Reduced labor costs - Automation can transform manual tasks into automated tasks that are done more efficiently by machine. This can save time and allow employees to focus on more important roles that take advantage of their training.
- Reduction in errors - Automation tools prevent errors made by humans, and greater automation in medical records, order entry, and decision-making will result in a reduction in accidental deaths, medical complications, and overall cost.
- Increase eco-friendliness - Overuse of paper can lead to waste and expensive disposal. With the increase in environmental awareness coming from environmental organizations, there is now a trend toward sustainability. With automation, the need for paper is significantly reduced. Many organizations can apply for tax credits for running their operations in a “green” manner, including medical facilities.
- Scalable support - Staff that have support from automation tools can handle a larger volume of patients at one time. Automation can be scaled easily in order to support patient volumes as they change.
- Improve feedback - Technology used in order to automate processes can also provide data that can be used in order to help improve performance. Automation systems can compile data on how the process is working, and managers can use that information in order to tweak the program, increasing accuracy and efficiency and evening out the workload.
Most educational institutions struggle with budgeting and staffing and, as a result, must deal with a specific set of process issues that can be significantly improved using an educational process automation solution. In higher education, educational institutions need to be able to automate different types of processes, including student enrollment, student application workflows, and applications for student loans and scholarships. While automation for these processes is on the rise, there are still many areas that highly depend on paper and manual processes in order to accomplish tasks like grading and test creation, although applications to automate these processes are beginning to be seen. Some other automation benefits for higher education include:
- Free-up IT Time - Since most universities have a large number of students and faculty members, IT departments have to spend a lot of time on resetting passwords. With process automation, end users are able to reset their own passwords and unlock accounts using self-service portals. This gives IT more time to focus on important, revenue-generating projects and speeds up the process for end users.
- Improve Feedback Process - Educational institutions that improve their workflow can better serve students and families. Information about financial aid, scholarships and enrollment can be delivered in a timely manner automatically and in a secure way, protecting students in a way paper never could.
- Reduce Errors - Schools that are able to automate their accounts payable function will be able to remain compliant with controls and audits, become more efficient by using intelligent routing for notifications and issues that need to be escalated and minimize errors.
VARs that spend time in order to fully understand the benefits of automation to the healthcare and education industries can easily and authoritatively show their customers how to save time and money, as well as improve productivity and efficiency. VARs can become trusted advisors to their customers in these industries and can expect to get referrals and profit greatly with their expertise.
Does your company understand BPA for healthcare and education? Please comment below.