Whether you’ve been selling, installing and supporting physical security solutions for decades or are new to the industry, you might be missing out on 5 best practices that could positively impact your business:
- Multiple solutions—Do you focus solely on one aspect of physical security (e.g., access control or CCTV solutions)? Today’s physical security solutions include tightly integrated components of all types, and if you aren’t selling the whole solution, you’re missing a revenue-generating opportunity and opening the door to your competition.
- Reputation—Building a positive reputation is critical in this industry. What’s your company known for? Have you earned any reputation within a niche or vertical that you can leverage to win more business in that market? Are you marketing your skills, customer wins and positive attributes? Try building your reputation by starting a blog. Ask satisfied customers for referrals and testimonials. And take advantage of social media—a free and easy way to build your reputation.
- Partnerships—Within the world of physical security lives many relationships with companies and products on the periphery. Consider, for example, glass installers and security guards. Take the time to establish partnerships with these noncompeting companies so that you can make strong recommendations and better serve your customers when they have a need. Those partners will likely return the favor and help grow your business.
- Certifications—Last month, we talked about how various industry certifications can increase your physical security IQ. By earning these certifications, you gain a level of credibility and can improve your reputation (back to our earlier point).
- Business plan—Are you running your businesses at breakneck speed, with no time to plan for the future? Eventually, this will catch up to you, so make the time now to plan for the long-term success of your business. Having clearly defined goals and a detailed plan helps you grow your business, hire, find new vendors and branch out into new markets—all in a controlled manner.
To help you incorporate these best practices, Ingram Micro has developed great training programs that will put you on a path to success. Also, take a look at IM Link or speak to your Ingram Micro rep for more guidance.