When we think about digital signage, it's often easy to focus on the rock stars of the industry: digital displays and video walls.
But equally important is digital signage software. In fact, digital signage software revenue had its strongest overall growth in 2014, generating $431 million?an increase of 21% over the previous year.
Just like no two businesses’ digital signage needs are the same, no two digital signage software companies offer the same features, and pricing structures can vary considerably.
Value-added resellers need to consider what companies are out there for you to choose from, what products they offer and at what price. Look for these key features when considering a digital signage software company:
Interactive touchscreen displays are no longer just the wave of the future; they are the new standard in digital signage technology. Therefore, it's imperative to find digital signage software meant to drive the latest interactive kiosks and displays.
While it may seem like a no-brainer, digital signage software is available in a variety of different "colors and flavors" depending on the vendor and how much you have budgeted for your installation. Look for software that allows you to design interactive content with interactive buttons, variables and branching for kiosks or other applications.
Creating a successful digital signage campaign is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. Digital signage should be customizable to meet your changing needs and allow you to:
- Customize message delivery to vary by location, time of day, season and audience
- Control items in a playlist to react dynamically to conditions at the playback location
- Enhance engagement with features that create interactive viewer experiences
- Use the script-based infrastructure to adapt and connect with other systems
- Customize the front end to control content delivery or access
How flexible is the software when it comes to media support? When selecting your digital signage software, the types of files you can or cannot play are major considerations, because eventually they will affect the final output of your system. Choose software that can play the type of media files you plan to use?videos (whether live or pre-recorded), photos, widgets, social media feeds, etc.
Distribution and scalability
A good digital signage solution is built with hardware components that ideally are scalable to meet future needs and keep costs down. Digital signage software should be no different with respect to scalability and the capability to adapt and grow as organizational and technology needs change. Look for digital signage software that:
- Can power anything from one screen to a global network of thousands
- Can control any type of display from any manufacturer
- Can connect multiple, different types of screens into the same network at the same time
- Can add/upgrade screens without running out of capacity
- Can grow and expand with the latest technology as well as your changing needs
- Allows you to create content and control displays as your network grows
As the digital signage landscape continues to grow, more and more software vendors are emerging onto the scene, which is why it's important to know what you're looking for in a digital signage software solution.