If you’re looking to provide real value to retailers, help them better engage with their customers. Up against the likes of Amazon, retailers are rushing to adopt omnichannel solutions that can create more meaningful relationships with customers. Progressive retailers are leveraging mobile devices shoppers carry for in-store applications, such as QR code scanning and loyalty apps, gathering analytics and other methods of engagement.
Of course, to engage, retailers first need to attract attention. And when it comes to grabbing attention in-store, few things are as effective as digital signage.
Here are some tips for creating an effective mobile engagement strategy using digital signage:
- Signage content must inspire engagement—one of the biggest hurdles is simply getting a shopper to stop moving for more than a few seconds. Having high-quality, dynamic, attention-grabbing content is a must.
- Trust must be built—if you expect shoppers to use their phone to scan a QR code, download an app or share any personal information, trust must be built. Encourage your retailers to be transparent with shoppers about how they’ll use the data they gather. Tell shoppers what won’t happen (e.g., “we won’t sell your contact information”) and then stick to the rules.
- Leverage various forms of interaction—many retailers are using NFC beacons to create engagement points with customers throughout the store. Additionally, presenting QR codes allows customers to scan the code with their device and be taken to a landing page, print coupons, download an app or go to a website for further interaction.
- Get the right parties involved—the solutions we’re describing require integrations with the POS, CMS, inventory system, digital signage, wireless network and more. As such, you’ll have to get the store manager, IT department and marketing team involved in the design and rollout of the solution.
- Identify desired outcomes—when designing the solution, you must understand the goals of each retail department. Once engaged with a shopper, what do you want to do? Present a coupon to boost sales? Sign the shopper up for a newsletter? Get the shopper to download an app. Without clear outcomes, it will be impossible to measure success or failure.
- Measure success or failure—don’t overlook tools and reports that will enable you to measure the success of the solution. Not only do you want to know how many shoppers looked at the signage, but it would also be helpful to know things like the time of day, whether they took action and whether their action led to the desired outcome(s).
- There must be something in it for the shopper—none of the above will be successful unless the shopper feels that there’s something in it for them. Often, retailers will offer coupons and/or loyalty points to shoppers who scan QR codes, download an app or provide some level of personal information.
By following the above advice, you’ll be well on your way to creating an effective solution that marries digital signage with in-store mobile engagement. That’s a real value most of your competitors are probably not providing today.