It is in the best interests of OEMs to maximize VAR participation in the programs they offer to stimulate sales. Anything that allows vendors to increase the performance of VARs will allow them to capture full value of incentives and benefits. Consequently, many of the largest OEMs are partners that are crucial to presales support by providing:
- Sales team support with the deepest knowledge of the manufacturer’s entire product portfolio—beyond what’s on a spec sheet—and can recommend the right components for a given project
- A highly trained field sales engineer with the expertise to assist in difficult/complex system design and interoperability issues
- A commitment to ongoing education and technical training on the OEM’s current and new product offerings as well as security industry trends and innovations
- Access to, or introductions to, others in the manufacturer’s ecosystem of partners that may bring enhanced capabilities, efficiencies, or insight to the project
- A comprehensive understanding of industry standards and protocols associated with the solutions that VARs are looking to install
- Automation tools that can assist in streamlining the design and bidding process to optimize profitability
An OEM company can and often does provide VARs and integrators with the inside track on newer technologies, pricing strategies, marketing promotions, and other products whose release is just around the corner. They bring the ability to draw on this knowledge to help VARs and integrators design and deliver a more cost-effective, higher-quality, or even more functional solution than was otherwise possible.
There are a number of ways that the right OEM company partner can contribute to realization of sales as well as a successful implementation/installation phase of a project. For example, it offers training and certification classes and similar programs to its integrator partners. This ensures that the VAR and partner integrator sales team have the skills and insights for explaining options and design possibilities in presale negotiations. This becomes a major asset in the actual design and installation phase during the post-sales phase.
An OEM company not only has extensive experience in complex systems, but it has accumulated and maintain a large ecosystem of trusted partners that can help facilitate the project. Being able to draw upon this larger pool of experts and their knowledge base can lead to faster problem resolution and, in the end, a happier customer and a more successful installation.
For VARs and integrators, the initial sales process is ideally the start of a longer relationship where updates with new product innovations and capabilities that help enable a fruitful ongoing relationship via maintenance and expanded project sales. This can include:
- An established policy of issuing firmware updates on a regular basis
- Field sales engineers who are available for post-installation assistance in system tuning and issue resolution
- Quality tools for on-site and remote maintenance of the installed solution
Clearly, the role of an OEM company in the selling process can be both vast and crucial for VARs and integrators. Of course, not all OEMs are created equal, so it’s important for VARs and integrators to fully vet the OEM before developing the relationship. This is where VARs and integrators that partner with System ArchiTECHS can reap big benefits in terms of having the broadest community network of the most supportive OEM companies that provide the most in-demand and versatile components and systems in IT.