If you aren’t currently taking advantage of the benefits of PCIe 4.0 with your solutions, you may be doing your customers a disservice. Following the same exponential gains as previous generations, PCIe 4.0 doubles the overall throughput of PCIe 3.0. With so much upside to PCIe 4.0, it’s no wonder there are some powerful use cases.
Enterprise and client applications for PCIe 4.0
- Graphics card acceleration—This one shouldn’t come as a surprise as GPU manufacturers have been chasing the exponential performance gains that PCIe 4.0 now makes possible. While speedy GPUs (graphics processing units) conjure images of gaming, enterprise applications include bandwidth-intensive functions like those you find in DNA sequencing.
The benefits of PCIe 4.0 to clients is the same as what we see in enterprise applications. By improving the performance of GPUs, desktops used in video production and photography can gain a level of power previously unseen at such price points.
- Digital signage—Within the pro AV industry, several factors have made eye-popping and expansive video walls reasonable investments for many organizations. Displays used in video walls have become more affordable, while software has become more capable. With the right blend of technology, you can create walls composed of a dozen or more screens. PCIe 4.0 allows this to happen without sacrificing performance.
- NVMe storage—NVMe, or nonvolatile memory express, is a storage and transport protocol for PCIe-based flash and solid state drives (SSDs). NVMe delivers high-bandwidth, low-latency storage with the highest throughput and fastest response times of all types of enterprise workloads. PCIe is used to provide the high-bandwidth, low-latency storage and version 4.0 means superior performance.
- Optane—Seeking more speed and improved performance, IT departments were given a unique solution in Intel Optane (which is based on NVMe). Optane PCIe cards can dramatically improve storage speeds by caching frequently used hard drive processes. Reports show that Optane memory is a thousand times faster than traditional NAND flash. PCIe 4.0 and new enhancements to Optane promise to speed this up even more once PCIe 4.0-capable CPUs are readily available.
- Traditional storage and networking—Optane isn’t the only storage that will see benefits from PCIe 4.0. Every other conventional storage and networking solution will enjoy additional bandwidth and increased performance.
Regardless of your customer needs today, it’s a good idea to offer solutions built with the future in mind. In the future, we’ll see more PCIe 4.0-based systems hitting the market. While some upgrades offer only incremental improvements, having PCIe 4.0 slots available will enable you to not only create powerful solutions built for today’s needs, but also give you an upgrade path that can provide enhancements for years to come.
For more information on PCI Express 4.0, storage and networking solutions, contact Samuel Alt
, Ingram Micro’s integrated solutions expert.